Aug 13, 2007

Praying the Psalms

One of the blogs I subscribe to is a daily devotional based on a Psalm. It starts at one and cycles through them numerically, then starts again on one. Today's reading was Psalm 42. It is one of the Psalms of lament, in which the author cries out to God, this time feeling deserted by God. As I was reading this, it really resonated with me. It speaks to my frustration in leading worship when I don't feel like worshiping myself--how in the world am I supposed to lead other people in worship when I am not in a "worship mood" yourself? Those days when there were sound issues caused by the gremlins that no one knows how it happened or why, or when I'm just plain in a bad mood? In a more broad sense, how, as a leader in any context, do you lead during the times you feel more like following someone else's lead?

For me, it's those days when I'm tempted to just shut up and sing, which is different from the days when I don't know what to say so I don't say much. It's a challenge for me, but I'm learning that it is those same days when "my soul wants to sing the blues" that I have to trust that God can still use me.

That's what I love about the Psalms--the ones singing God's praise are right next to the ones crying out to God in anger, frustration, sadness, worry, you name it. They are both healthy reactions as they balance each other out. How do you find balance in your relationship with God?

1 comment:

holly said...

for you reading pleasure, i have started a new blog that is dedicated to my thoughts and questions regarding faith and religion. thot you'd wanna know :)
http://southpawxn.blogspot.com/