Aug 6, 2007

Re-centering

Today I did something I'm ashamed to say I haven't done for a while. I spent some time in devotion with The Upper Room Devotional Guide. Usually, I come in to work and start checking email or doing things on my to-do list. Today, however, I read a passage in Proverbs about seeking Wisdom in God, read the short devotion for today in the guide, then I spent some time praying. It was really refreshing, and I forget how centering and focusing it is. I think sometimes that I should have this fabulously strong faith and belief since I work in a church and lead worship, that I should be the example for the congregation and the world. Most of the time, it seems it is the other way around for me. I know that places a lot of guilt and expectation on me, some of which is unreasonable and self-centered. But the reality is, I can't lead or plan worship well when I am not seeking a deeper relationship with God. No matter if your belief about the Bible, whether it is literal or not, it is still full of time-tested truths that help us in our search for the Truth, and connecting with God is vital to connecting with others in worship. And that's something I want to do more and better.

No comments: