Feb 17, 2008

Thyroid

The results from my blood test and ultrasound came back.  Turns out I have an underactive thyroid, hypothyroid.  And they either found thyroid antibodies, or found something in my thyroid antibodies, I don't remember exactly how the nurse said it, but it is genetic.  So, I have medicine that I'll probably have to take for the rest of my life.  But the good news is that it's not as bad as the worst case scenario that was playing through my mind.  I'm very good at imagining worst case.

So this explains a lot of things.  Feeling tired, being cold all the time, dry skin and nails, voice and throat issues (I actually lost my voice for the first time ever right before Christmas Eve--no pain, just no voice--not cool for the singing worship leader), losing more hair than usual.  And it means that the weight I've lost over the past year or so is unusual, since most people gain weight with an underactive thyroid.  It makes me wonder if the depression I was diagnosed with in college and the migraines I've had since junior high are related, but really I'll probably never know.  

So that's the update.  Thanks for your prayers and kind words! 

No comments: