May 7, 2009

I'm Just Sayin'

Lately, many of my clergy friends have embarked on many plans to raise up other young clergy within The United Methodist Church, and I applaud them for it.  However, I get frustrated when it seems that clergy leaders are the only ones who "matter" when looking at the future of the denomination.  I know clergy are supremely important to the continuation of our denomination in the future.  Afterall, I am married to a pastor and daily see the ways in which he and his colleagues care for and lead their congregations.  However, they won't have a denomination, or congregations, for that matter, to lead if we don't also focus on raising up "lay" (non-clergy) leaders.  

I'm struggling here and in my interactions with the topic to not seem like I'm whining.  ("Look at me, I matter, too!!")  I also struggle because I am one of "those" people who would like to see change but don't know how to help/start and don't really have the desire to be the one to forge the path.  In all honesty, that's why I dropped out of the ordination process to become a deacon--too many questions to answer and challenges to overcome.  And I saw a way that I could be in ministry without having to jump through the hoops.  Do I regret it?  Not really.  The whole issue of defining who deacons are and how their ordination is distinct and different from elders and now local pastors is a mess that seems to only be getting worse, and I don't want to go into that right now.

I think my biggest concern is that by focusing so much on raising up "young clergy," I see a potential devaluing of the ministry of the laity, who are equally as called and equally as necessary (if not more so) to the work of the Church.  If we are truly to see change in the way our denomination is heading, then we need leadership, yes.  But that doesn't mean that the clergy have to or even can do it by themselves.  We are called to work together.  

There is another caution for those who are now classified as "young" clergy (however that might be determined), whether by age or time in "the system."  The caution is this: if you don't quickly look behind you at those who are coming behind you, then you risk putting yourself in the same situation as those with whom you seem to be frustrated now.  The danger is that you might be fighting for change that you yourself will not benefit from.

So, that's just my two cents.  But then again, what do I know?  No one's laid hands on me to set me apart, I'm just one of the masses.

3 comments:

Jenny said...

Great post Heather. I agree on all fronts. I hope that comes across in our efforts at the young clergy site. I was amazed at our face to face meeting in Nashville in March how concerned we were with the generation coming behind us. I love that about almost all young leaders I've interacted with. I see a real desire to do all we can so the ones after us feel more supported and empowered.

Thank you for naming the issues you have. They need to be discussed in open ways. I hope someone sees this and has energy and initiative to be a part of the conversation surrounding lay leadership. I appreciate all the work many UM networks are doing to raise up young leaders (lay or ordained).

Thank you again for your honesty and transparency. It's refreshing!

Janelle said...

I agree - great post. I think it's exciting that young clergy are eager to lead the church and I appreciate so many of them on a personal and professional level, but it also has to come from the lay leaders.

That being said, will the lay leaders rise to the occasion? It doesn't happen often. It may be because of a training issue or a fear of not being heard or taken seriously, but then it might also be that they just don't have the desire, time or energy. Often, the reality of the ideal is disappointing.

I think about my home church, and when I was in high school. We didn't have a youth group per se. A couple of us would gather on Sunday nights to play board games or whatever would take up the time. But then a group of us had a vision. One could probably even say, a call. We began to pray about taking on leadership responsibilities ourselves. We organized a spiritually nurturing youth group, an intensive Bible study and a weekly hour of prayer.

We weren't following anyone but God. We heard a call, and we listened. I'm sure that God is calling people for the local church, denomination and universal Church... but what to do with that?

I would agree with you, that it would be refreshing to see a focus on lay leadership - just people doing church, listening for God and answering the call. If I had to guess, the clergy (young and old) would probably appreciate it. I think the idea of being called into lay leadership needs to be seriously examined. If people don't know to listen, they probably won't. If they think the only option is professional ministry, they might assume that they don't need to listen or that there would be no reason for which to be called.

Thanks for raising this issue. It gives me lots to chew on.

Mark said...

I agree Heather.

To be honest...a lot of my interaction with this has given me a cynical perspective.

It seems to me that it is to get names out there in the "lime-light"...maybe not for all...but definitely for some.

I've kinda stepped back from the whole "young clergy" thing after being burned here in Indiana...It was all about politics and personal agenda, which sickened me.